Strawberry margarita on the rocks with fresh lime juice. This twist on the classic margarita is the perfect, easy-to-make cocktail for summer. Bursting with the sweetness of ripe strawberries and tangy citrus, this subtly sweet cocktail is a great way to welcome warmer days. The citrus salt rim is a pretty and refreshing touch with every little sip. Skip that 1800 strawberry margarita pre-mix & make this. Do it justice by grabbing some beautiful in season strawberries (local if you can find them!).
Splash of OJ or Triple Sec!
There are plenty of options to make this drink to your preferences. While it may not be a “classic” margarita without triple sec, I love to use a little more tequila and the juice of an orange. I find it’s a little bit less sweet, and is a great addition to the strawberry. And I swear every time I go to make a marg, I don’t have triple sec. So this is a great option for if that happens to you.
However, if you prefer a more traditional approach, substituting 1oz of triple sec, grand mariner or your favorite orange liquer for the OJ.
Non-alcoholic drinks are on the rise and as someone who doesn’t frequently drink, but wants something nice to hold, I love this. Skip the tequila, make sure to use that splash of OJ and top your drink with club soda.
From the Kitchen
Home Cook’s Notes
Can I use store bought margarita salt?
My homemade citrus salt is fun to make when you have extra time. But you can use store bought as a substitute of course & add your own citrus zest! Some people even love to use sugar.
Can I use frozen strawberries?
In order for this cocktail to taste as delicious as intended, I would use fresh, small, very ripe strawberries. Frozen fruit can be a little flavorless, but if using let them sit out for a few minutes with a sprinkle of sugar. Or you can defrost them in the fridge. If using frozen, you could also make a frozen margarita instead. Double the recipe so it is easier to blend.
Do I have to use Honey?
I love using my local honey especially when making it non-alcoholic. But agave, simple syrup and regular sugar are all delicious. I don’t have a recipe for it, but a strawberry simple syrup would also be great.
The Citrus Salt Rim
Prepare to be impressed by the simple but delightful addition of a citrus salt rim. It adds a little flavor to the margarita that’s fun, bright and pretty. Before squeezing the lime and orange, zest them lightly into a bowl of salt. To salt the rim, rub a slice of lime along the edge of the glass and gently dip it into the citrusy-salty mixture. For garnish: keep it simple with some of the muddled strawberries, a strip of orange rind or slice of strawberry. Its bright, vibrant and fun to take pictures of.
Connect with me!
Enjoy your Summer Strawberry Margarita on the Rocks – I have another delicious drink recipe with fresh strawberries & OJ. Try my Mimosa Sangria for your next brunch or breakfast.
My little twist on the classic marg is perfect for these hot summer days, grilling outside or sitting on the deck with your friends. When you make this Strawberry Margarita with Citrus Salt Rim, please share it with me. Tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis or leave a comment here. I love hearing from you!
Muddled Strawberry Margarita with a Citrus Salt Rim
- 1 large cocktail shaker or mason jars
- ½ cup ripe strawberries in season strawberries
- 1 tsp honey or sugar or sugar
- 1 orange (or 1.5oz orange juice)
- 1 lime
- 1.5 oz Tequila Blanco less if you don’t want it too strong
- kosher salt & zest of fruit for rim! I like kosher salt!
- Cut up strawberries into quarters. In a large mason jar or cocktail shaker, add cut strawberries. Add honey or sugar. Let sit. Meanwhile, zest lime & orange for salt. Peel a piece rind for garnish if you’d like.
- On small, flat plate, add 1-2 tablespoons of salt & citrus zest. Mix. Lightly rub fruit along rim of glass. Salt the rim by tapping wet rim into the salt. Fill glass with ice.
- Add juice of 1 orange (or OJ) & juice of 1 lime to sweetened strawberries. Mash them as well as you can with bottom of handle of wooden spoon or cocktail muddler. Add tequila to cocktail shaker and then fill it with ice. Shake hard until shaker feels very cold. Strain into glass with ice. Add some muddled strawberry if you would like. Garnish with strawberry slice and orange or lime rind.