Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets & Homemade Honey Mustard. Frozen chicken nuggets are one of my go-to meals for when I just don’t feel like making lunch or dinner but need to eat some sort of protein. But the ingredients in most chicken nuggets are more “ingredients” than they are chicken! These homemade chicken nuggets have 3 times the serving of protein of your favorite frozen chicken nuggets and taste just as good if not better.
Home Cook’s Notes/FAQ
Do they have to be made with gluten free ingredients?
One of my best friends is gluten free. I am always convinced I can make gluten free food taste just as good as non gluten free and that is how this recipe was born. But it’s SO easy to be made with non gluten free products. Substitute regular, unflavored breadcrumbs and all purpose flour for the gluten free 1:1.
what is the best gluten free flour?
From the Kitchen
Connect with Me
When you make these Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets, please share your thoughts in the comments or tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis. I really love hearing for you, but if anything please come back and give it a rating!
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
- 2 lb ground chicken
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 lg egg beaten
- 1/2 cup avocado oil – much less if you are air frying! or other high smoke point oil (canola, grapeseed, vegetable)
Homemade Honey Mustard
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs yellow mustard
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- small pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Form Chicken Nuggets: In a large bowl add ground chicken, garlic powder, onion powder & salt. Mix until everything is combined. Ground chicken is quite wet, so it should be very incorporated and mixed together.
- Prepare the Breading: First, crush the gf bread crumbs lightly. In a large ziplock bag, add bread crumbs. Smack with rolling pin or back of a spoon. Until mostly crushed with some varying pieces. You can use a food processor, but I find they make too fine of a crumb so only 1-2 pulses in total. In one shallow dish, add gluten free all purpose flour. In the other, add the crushed breadcrumbs. In a third shallow dish, add beaten egg. Set aside
- Bread the Nuggets: Set up a tray or baking sheet for breaded chicken nuggets. Form the chicken nuggets into 1/2 inch thick, chicken nugget shaped patties. Mine are about 1.5-2 inches long. Use wet hands if the mixture is very sticky. Wet them in some water & then shape the patties & it will be much smoother. Add chicken nugget to gf flour & coat generously. Next place nugget in the beaten egg & finally the bread crumb and coat well. Place on baking sheet and finish breading the rest of the chicken nuggets. If they are very soft, you can place baking sheet in fridge or freezer to firm up. They can cook from frozen.
- Fry the Chicken Nuggets: Pan Fry Directions: Fill a large skillet with 1/3 cup avocado oil or other high smoke point oil. You may have to work in batches. Heat on medium-high heat until it sizzles when a bread crumb is dropped into the oil. Place 1 layer of chicken nuggets into your skillet leaving a little less than an inch of space between – try not to over crowd. Fry 2 minutes or so until crispy and golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side. Drain on double lined paper towels when finished. When Oil is very brown or burning, carefully dispose of it, wipe out the pan quickly and repeat for the next batch. Air Fry Directions: Brush each side of chicken nugget with oil. Preheat air fryer to 425°. Air fry 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through until nuggets are golden brown and cooked through.
- To Make Honey Mustard: mix all ingredients together in small bowl or jar. Honey mustard lasts in air tight container up to two weeks.