BBQ Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner. It’s back to school, the start of fall, the beginning of the holiday season. And while all the baking and cooking and time we spend in the kitchen is fun, sometimes we just want a really easy dinner. This one is so simple, and after chopping the veg is almost entirely hands off. Roasted crispy brussels, mashed sweet potatoes, and the onions with the chicken cooked over them – drool.
Prepping The Chicken & Veg
Cut your brussel sprouts in half and lay them on one side of the baking sheet, drizzle with salt & oil. Next, the onions and then the sweet potatoes. As you will see in the recipe, I give you two delicious options for the sweet potatoes. Cutting then in half and roasting them will speed up the process a little. But cutting them open and eating them as is is a really good way to eat them if you don’t want to mash. Option two is a very simple & easy mashed sweet potato. Throw all your roasty chunks, skin and all right into the blender with milk, salt and butter.
The chicken marinates in BBQ sauce & bakes right over the onions. The onions become so delicious & just melt in your mouth. I love piling them on top of the mashed sweet potatoes and eating everything together. If you’d like to skip the sweet potatoes all together, try this cauliflower mash recipe .
Baked BBQ Chicken Tip
My favorite part of BBQ is the charred bits. A quick tip if you don’t mind an extra step: carefully remove the cooked brussels & sweet potatoes after 40 minutes and set them aside. Leave the onion & chicken on the baking sheet. Place back in oven under your broiler on high. Broiler 2-5 minutes until parts of the barbecue sauce have charred & it will finish cooking the chicken through.
When you make this BBQ Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner, please let me know in the comments. How did you make your sweet potatoes? What else are you looking for for fall recipes? I love hearing from you. Or you can follow me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis.
Looking for another fall meal? Try this Apple Cider Braised Short Rib w/ Cauliflower Mash
BBQ Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner & Quick Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- blender or food processor for mashed sweet potatoes
- 1.5lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3/4c BBQ Sauce your favorite
- 1-1.5 lbs (about 2 large/4small) Sweet Potatoes cut in half, ends trimmed
- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts cut in half
- 1 large Red Onion cut in 4-6 pieces
- Olive Oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tbs salted butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Make sure all of your veggies are prepped & chopped. In a medium bowl, add chicken thighs & cover with bbq sauce. Make sure all chicken pieces are covered in sauce and set aside to marinate.
- 2. Bake Veggies: On your baking sheet, lay chopped brussel sprouts on one side. Drizzle with about 1tbs olive oil & 2tsp balsamic. Sprinkle with salt and toss with your hand. In the center, add your onions. Separate some of the onion petals/pieces as you spready them across. On the other side of the baking sheet, lay sweet potato halves. Drizzle lightly with olive oil & rub into sweet potatoes. Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- 3. Add Chicken: Carefully remove sheet with veggies from oven. Toss brussels a little if you'd like. Lay bbq chicken over top of the red onions. Put remaining barbecue sauce in the bowl over the chicken. Place sheet back into oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through *see note*
- 4. Option 1: Quick Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Add roasted sweet potatoes, cut up a little smaller if you have to, to food process or blender. Add milk, butter & big pinch salt. Blend on high until smooth. Add more salt if needed, just taste! Option 2: Roasted Sweet Potatoes Remove sweet potatoes from oven, cut open & mash a little. Salt to taste & add 1/4 of the tbs butter (or more :)).
- 5. Serve & Enjoy!