Apple Cider Braised Short Rib. I honestly feel like that is all I need to say, because just that PHRASE is delicious. But, this recipe, is fall and comfort and everything you love about cozy dinners. The short rib is so flavorful, the apple cider adds a touch of sweetness, and it melts in your mouth. Paired with the insanely delicious & sweet caramelized onions, and salty cauliflower mash, you literally cannot go wrong.
As for as time management goes, this one is super easy to get done. Salt your short ribs the minute you get home from the store, whether you are cooking them that night or tomorrow. Let the salt do it’s magic! Brown them in hot oil. Browning = flavor, as we learned in my Home Cook’s Guide, How To: Easy Steak. Plus, we want to render out some of the fat. Throw them in the crockpot with everything else, and that is out of the way.
Next, throw your onions in. Caramelize them and package them up for when the short ribs are ready. And while they are caramelizing, make your cauliflower mash. Fifteen – twenty minutes tops to get both done. The second time I made them, I left the brown bits & fat from the short rib in the pan all day on the stove until I was ready to heat them back up and make my onions after work. So, an entire dinner in one recipe.
The best part is, you can meal prep this, make it for a cute Sunday night dinner, or feed your family for the next get together with this meal! I think you are going to truly love it. I made it optional to use beer to caramelize the onions. Water works just fine, but a lager or even white wine adds extra flavor that pairs with these flavors perfectly.
When you make this Apple Cider Braised Short Rib w/ Cauliflower Mash, be sure to tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis or comment here! Any questions? I can’t wait to answer them!
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Braised Short Rib w. Cauliflower Mash
- Slow Cooker or Large Dutch Oven
Slow Cooker Short RIb
- 4 lbs Bone in Beef Short Rib
- 2 tbs Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 4 cups Apple Cider
- 3 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary
- 5 cloves Smashed Garlic
- 3 Carrots sliced 1/2 inch think
- 1.5 lbs Yellow Onion sliced thin
Cheddar Cauliflower Mash
- 1 Large Head Cauliflower
- 2 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Short Rib
- Brown Short Ribs: (stove top directions in notesbelow): Immediately salt short ribs. Even if you aren’t making them until tomorrow! The longer they salt, the better. Keep them salted until you cook them. Trim any very thick layers of fat off of the short rib if there are any. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbs oil on medium-high heat. Place the short rib pieces into hot skillet & brown on each side. Try to render out some fat and get lots of great color. 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Braise Short Ribs: Once browned, nestle short ribs into crockpot. Cover with apple cider, apple cider vinegar, rosemary sprigs, carrots and crushed garlic cloves. Keep in crockpot on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours, or until falling off the bone and very easily shredded. Remove short rib from the bone. And with a slotted spoon, remove some fallen rosemary leaves & crushed garlic. Slice short rib into chunks, or shred. Serve with a drizzle of extra juices, garlic cloves and rosemary over cauli mash & onions.
- In a skillet or same skillet you browned short ribs in, add 1tbs olive oil, sliced onions nad big pinch salt. Toss & cook on medium-low. Let onions soften and start to brown. When the onions brown and even get some char or the pan seems dry, add 1/2 cup water. Use it to scrape the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan and toss. Keep cooking until the liquid evaporates, and repeat with beer or water. Do this until the onions are very brown, soft, and delicious – taste as you cook! This takes about 25 minutes. Make them right before the short ribs finish cooking, or right after placing them in the crockpot.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Salt well. Add cauliflower pieces & boil until very, very easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and add hot, steamed cauliflower to blender or food processor with sour cream & cheese.Blend on high until super creamy and there are no lumps. Serve hot! Make sure you taste so you can add more salt if needed.
Home Cook’s Notes
- *The short ribs, caramelized onions and cauliflower mash can ALL be made ahead, or at different times and reheated!
- *You can also make this recipe on the stove top. In a large pot, follow steps 1-4. Cover with a lid & simmer on medium heat for 3 hours or until meat shreds easily and falls off the bone.