Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake with a lemon glaze. This recipe is totally made with my mom in mind. ANYTHING lemon, whether it be a cake, any dessert, or even a cocktail, and my mom loves it. All I could think about the last few months was the idea for this recipe, and making sure I had it perfect for Mother’s Day. So if you have a mom like mine, or if you love a citrusy, summery, delicious dessert, this one is for you too.
I ended up calling this a “loaf cake” because I think it is a perfect convo. It is loaf-y without being bread-y and moist enough that it is a perfect cake. And I just couldn’t decide on the name so here we are.
Next let’s get into the baking details. The process is very simple, combine dry ingredients, combine wet ingredients, put them together & bake. As long as all of the dairy is room temperature and you follow the process, everything will turn out perfect. Try not to over beat. We want the cake to be light and moist and over-mixing can create too much gluten in the batter making it tough. Just stop as soon as you see each step is incorporated.
You can use a hand mixer and ALMOST one bowl in total. No need to whip out your stand mixer. I have used both for this recipe so whatever you find is your favorite is the best option.
As for the glaze, the process is very simple. Just whisk all ingredients in a bowl or even measuring cup and pour it over the cake. If you want to adjust thickness, you can add another tablespoon of powdered sugar. But I like to pour one layer, and then whatever is leftover drizzle that on top. You can eat right after glazing, or let it set a little before slicing.
I made a joke on Instgram stories that there are “lemon moms” and “chocolate moms”. I am, and will be a chocolate lover through and through, but my mom is a lemon lover and I am happy to have this loaf cake on here.
When you make this Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake, tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis. Please let me know your thoughts or how it went! Or comment here with a review and let me know what you think.
Lemon Blueberry Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze
- 9 inch Loaf Pan
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temp (1 & 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temp
- 6 tbsp lemon juice, divided (3 lemons)
- zest 1 lemon
- 1 & 1/2 cup all purpose flour spooned & leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9-inch loaf pan well and set aside.
- 2. Combine Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, add 1 & 1/2 cup flour, 1tsp baking powder, & 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- 3. Combine Wet Ingredients: Beat 1 & 1/2 sticks butter & 1 cup sugar on medium together until light and fluffy. 1-2 minutes. On low, beat in one egg at a time and and then 2tsp of vanilla. Add 1/2 cup sour cream & beat until everything is combined. Finally, add 3tbs (half of the lemon juice) and zest of one lemon to mixture. Beat on low until combined and scrape sides and bottom.
- 4. Add Dry to Wet: Add mostly all of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat on low until just combined. Add your 1 cup blueberries to the extra flour in the bowl and toss. Dump floured blueberries into the batter and fold in blueberries. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to make sure everything is combined.
- 5. Bake: Pour batter into greased baking dish. Place in oven and bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cool at least 2 hours before putting on glaze or preferably overnight.
- 6. Make Glaze: in a small bowl add 1 cup pwodered sugar, 1tbs heavy cream and the other 3tbs lemon juice. Whisk until no clumps remain. Pour over cooled loaf. If you want it thicker, add a tbs powdered sugar. Or feel free to use any excess for another layer of glaze.