Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins with a light cinnamon cream cheese center. Crunchy, buttery topping, fresh plump blueberries & a deliciously tender muffin. This is the perfect treat to bring with you to someone’s house on vacation, spring & summer brunches and breakfasts, and it is one of my favorite beach house breakfasts. They are meant to be on the table with powdered sugar and lots of coffee. They are my absolute favorite muffin, and I have never known anyone who has tried them that’s eaten just one.
Making the Blueberry Muffin Batter
The cream cheese filling is very simple, just mix with a bit of sugar and cinnamon & set aside. The rest of the batter follows a typical cake/muffin batter process. Mix the dry ingredients & whisk, and then the wet ingredients. You can make these muffins entirely with just a whisk! Be mindful of over-mixing. Stop as soon as the dry flour bits are gone. I like to stop a little early and fold in the rest with a spatula and the blueberries.
The batter will be a little sticky, that’s okay. Scoop two tablespoons into the bottom, add about 1tbs cream cheese scoop, and cover again with the rest of the batter. Do not at all worry about perfectly centered cream cheese. I love the uneven rustic-ness of these muffins. As the batter bakes it envelops the cream cheese & makes for the perfect bite. There is usually a good amount of the cream cheese left over. I like to serve it with the muffins on the side or save it left over for the week. It is so delicious on a bagel.
Coffee Cake Topping
I really tried to bring the coffee cake vibe into these blueberry muffins. The batter is moist and packed with flavor. But the TOPPING. That is the only reason we eat coffee cake anyway right? It is kind of reminiscent of the crispy crunchy sugar of a quintessential blueberry muffin – with more flavor.
Very simply, we mix all of the ingredients together with some cinnamon & melted butter. And crumble it over the top of our filled muffin tins. Bake. The muffin will become..muffin-y, and the coffee cake topping will get golden and crispy.
Let cool a few moments in the cupcake tin and gently remove them. Once fully cooled, dust with powdered sugar.
More Blueberry Recipes?
When you make these Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins, please share your thoughts in the comments. I love to hear from you. Have you tried to make these with any other fruit? I think they would be amazing with raspberries and a zest of lemon. Tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis if you have any photos of your creations- seeing them is one of my favorite parts of this job.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Muffins
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 oz plain cream cheese room temperature or softened
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
Coffee Cake Topping
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour spooned & leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 oz cream cheese melted, microwaved 10-16 seconds
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries heaping cup
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease muffin tin or add cupcake liners & set aside.
- Make Cream Cheese Filling: Soften cream cheese (10-20 seconds in microwave) & make filling. In a small bowl, add cream cheese, 1/4 tsp cinnamon & brown sugar. Whisk or mix together until incorporated. Set in fridge or to the side. I like when it is cold and easier to crumble.
- Make Coffee Cake Topping: In another small bowl, add 4tbs melted butter & 1/4 cup flour, brown sugar, white sugar & 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Whisk together Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. In a large mixing bowl, add eggs & sugar. Whisk or beat together until eggs are a little paler & sugar is combined (about 1 minute). Next, add vanilla, sour cream & milk & melted cream cheese. Whisk again.
- Add dry ingredients to wet: leave a little flour in the bowl to toss the blueberries- to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Do not over-mix. Finish mixing in with rubber spatula. Toss blueberries in remaining flour & add blueberries and flour to batter. Remove cream cheese & topping from fridge or freezer.
- Fill Tins & Crumble Topping: Scoop about 2 tablespoons (I love a 2tbs cookie scoop) muffin batter into each muffin tin. It may be sticky! Add about 1/2 tbs or little scoop of cream cheese filling into center of each muffin. Spread it out or swirl it out if you want more of a swirl and less of a center. Top with the rest of the batter. Add the rest of the batter on top of each scoop of cream cheese. You may not use it all see note*. Crumble the coffee cake topping over the muffins. It may overflow and that is okay (& welcomed). Use it all!
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in tin 10 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or fully cooled.
Home Cook’s Notes
- Muffins will keep in air tight container up to 5 days