Cranberry Goat Cheese Puff Pastry Pinwheels. These are a perfect, simple appetizer for the holiday season. Pass them out before dinner, or even add them to your cheeseboard. You can use canned cranberry sauce if that is your favorite, but I love to use homemade. My mom always has leftover cranberry sauce after Thanksgiving – you can freeze it & thaw when ready to use! We only need 1/2 cup for this simple puff pastry recipe. I also have a homemade cranberry sauce recipe in the recipe card (just like my momma makes it!).
Home Cook’s Tips/ FAQ
Can I make this cranberry goat cheese recipe ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the log, brush it with egg wash and freeze the log. Let it thaw on the counter 10 minutes or so or until you can slice it. Bake the slices. You can also slice the log, and carefully layer them with parchment in a freezer safe container. Bake from frozen, but you may need to add 5 more minutes to bake time!
Are there any other cheeses I can use?
I have not tested this recipe with another cheese, but I think feta cheese would work great as long as it is softened. You will want to microwave it in 5 second increments until it is easily spreadable. This would taste a little more savory & the honey drizzle at the end will be important to balance the flavors. Another cheese I think could be really good is cream cheese – same rules apply for softening! This would be a bit sweeter in the end and I think the thyme leaves and flaky salt will be an important addition.
Cranberry sauce is one of those things that is very specific to your family, so I am not going to intrude. If your family favorite is canned cranberry, please go for it & use it in this recipe! I love my mom’s own recipe, so that is what I use. I have also added the full batch recipe at the bottom. I personally use Ocean Spray cranberries and I love the addition of the orange juice and zest. It is a barely-there addition that enhances the tart cranberry a little.
From the Kitchen
Connect with Me
When you make these Cranberry Goat Cheese Puff Pastry pinwheels, let me know your thoughts in the comments or tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis. I really love hearing for you, but if anything please come back and give it a rating!
Popular Holiday Recipes
Cranberry Goat Cheese Pinwheels
- 1/2-3/4 cup cranberry sauce*
- 8 oz goat cheese log room temp or softened
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2.5 tbs honey
- 1/2 tbs fresh thyme removed from stems
- flaky salt optional
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 12 oz cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- pinch salt
- Thaw frozen puff pastry based on package directions: make sure your puff pastry has been sitting out 40 minutes – 1 hour (cold and malleable, but not cracking).
- Preheat Oven to 425° & Make Filling: In a bowl, mix together goat cheese with 1/2 cup cranberry sauce. I like to use a little extra cranberry sauce to dollop on top before rolling.
- Make Pinwheels: Unfold puff pastry. Gently roll out the creases with a rolling pin. Spread 1/2 of the cranberry goat cheese filling leaving a little outer edge (about 1/4-1/2 inch). Roll from the bottom into a log. It does not have to be super tightly rolled. Using a brush or pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the roll. Add to freezer for 10-15 minutes or as long as you want (up to overnight). You can skip this step, but It will be much easier to cut.
- Slice & Bake: slice log into 1/2 inch slices and place them 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Use 2 baking sheets or work in batches. Bake for 20 minutes or until very golden brown, puffed up and you can see lots of tiny layers. Be sure the bottoms don't burn.
- Drizzle w/ Honey & Thyme: Microwave honey in a small dish for 10 seconds. Right before pinwheels are done. Immediately upon removing them from oven, drizzle with honey & sprinkle with a few thyme leaves. Add a bit of flaky salt if desired. Serve immediately.
Cranberry Sauce – if you need it.
- This makes 1 whole batch of cranberry sauce. You are only using about 1/2 cup for the recipe. Feel free to 1/2 the recipe if needed – same instructions apply.On medium: heat water, juice of orange and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves (about 5 minutes). Add cranberries, set to medium high & stir often. Cranberries will pop and burst. Cook 10-15 minutes until all cranberries are broken down. Add zest & stir. It will thicken as it cools. Let cool a good amount before using this recipe.