White Pizza w/ Prosciutto & Hot Honey. There is nothing as fun and as delicious as homemade pizza. It’s a vibe: perfectly crispy crust, melty cheese, extra toppings. But pizza is the ultimate food to bond over. When I think about pizza, I think about sauce & cheese and salty sweet toppings, but I also think about that open box in the middle of the table and all of your friends reaching their hands in. I love when my friends sit in my living room sprawled out on my couch. Some of us sit on the floor and everyone is hanging out, but there’s bits of pizza crust left on plates & lots of conversation. I wanted to immortalize that feeling so I am sharing it here through my absolute favorite white pizza. (And some pics of them below)
The Pizza Dough
Use your favorite pizza dough. You can use your favorite pizza dough recipe, your favorite frozen crust, even cauliflower or alternative crusts. But just remember a classic pizza dough should always be room temperature, or at least relaxed enough that it’s easy to work with. Room temp dough is drastically easier to work with, roll out and stretch.
I prefer to use my hands. That is part of the fun making pizza! On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to press it flat into a rough circle. Lift it off and inch worm your hands around the edges to let the dough stretch itself with it’s weight. Have fun with it. And absolutely do not worry about a perfect circle.
White pizza is perfect in its simplicity. No sauce – just cheese. Ricotta dollops are a quintessential part of white pizza for me so I love hefty dollops throughout. To get a little more salt on there, prosciutto is the perfect option. My family just loves prosciutto & I love the way it gets crispy in the oven on pizza (and even more salty). There aren’t too many details to give on cooking this guy. It’s all about the assembly.
The Hot Honey
The hot honey is a perfect addition. Sweet, spicy and tangy to cut through the salty fatty cheese and prosciutto. The honey will melt in the microwave, but as it cools you can use it for up to a week! And the fresh oregano leaves are a little added hint of freshness. Altogether, it’s a pretty perfect pizza.
I hope you make this White Pizza w/ Prosciutto & Hot Honey, & when you do please comment below or tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis and share your feedback. Rate or comment below 🙂 Thank you again for giving me something to cook for!
White Pizza w. Prosciutto & Hot Honey
- 12-16 oz your favorite pizza dough room temp*
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or fresh mozz, grated)
- 1-2 oz grated parmesan*
- 2-3 oz prosciutto
- a few stems fresh oregano
Balsamic Hot Honey
- 3 tbs honey
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper more if you like it extra spicy
- pinch red pepper flake
- 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to highest heat (usually 450-500°). Place baking sheet or pizza stone inside the oven while it preheats. In a small mixing bowl, season your ricotta. Add ricotta with a pinch of salt and pepper, mix together & set aside.
- Shape Pizza Dough: When the oven is ready, shape your dough. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough by pressing your fingers and palms around the dough. When the dough is pressed out with your hands to about 8inch circle, lift it off the surface and let it hang. Move your hands around the edges kind of like an inch worm and let it stretch itself to a 10-12 inch circle. If the dough is shrinking back as you stretch it, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest 15 minutes before coming back to it.
- Get Toppings Ready & Bake Pizza: Very carefully remove hot baking sheet from the oven, lightly spray or oil it. Lay your pizza dough. Cover with mozzarella cheese. Dollop the seasoned ricotta randomly over top. Sprinkle with grated parm. Drape prosciutto pieces on top of cheese. Sprinkle a few leaves of fresh oregano. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust is very golden and crispy on the outside & cheese is very melted.
- Prepare Hot Honey: While pizza bakes, prepare hot honey. In a small dish: add 3tbs honey, a splash balsamic vinegar, large pinch red pepper and ⅛ – ¼ tsp cayenne. The less cayenne, the less spicy. Microwave about 20 seconds until warm, slightly bubbly and everything combines easily. Let it cool while the pizza finishes up. The honey will thicken as it cools.
- When pizza is done, remove from oven, lightly drizzle with hot honey (you may not use it all!). Cut & serve.