Soy Marinated Steak Rice Bowls are easy to make and come together in 15 minutes or less on the grill. Grilled Shishitos & Corn make the perfect salsa to serve with it. SO much flavor for a weeknight dinner that can come together in no time.
During the beloved, corn tomato season, one special produce item gets forgotten: the pepper. They are exploding, along with tomatoes and are just as ripe and beautiful. Not to mention versatile. Shishitos are simple to prepare and delicious in this recipe.
Are shishito peppers hot?
Shishitos are a fun, sneaky little pepper. They are quite mild. Admittedly, I can be afraid of spice so I don’t use too many hot peppers. BUT be warned 1 in every 10-20 shishitos can have a good bit of heat. It takes a while before you find one, but every now and then a shishito will surprise you with some heat!
What to do with shishito peppers?
What to do with shishito peppers? If you aren’t using them in this recipe, they are still incredibly easy to prepare. Cook them on the grill, a grill pan or in the the air fryer until blistering on both sides. Remove from heat and let collapse. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt & a squeeze of lime. They are an incredibly easy & delicious appetizer.
If you follow me on IG or know me at all, you know I love steak. So yes, you can substitute it, but I love red meat. It’s filled with b12, zinc and iron and even more nutritious when sourced well if possible. This recipe calls for flank steak which is less fatty than other cuts of delicious red meat. It really really benefits from being marinated overnight. The soy sauce actually makes the steak more tender, more flavorful, and damn good. You could substitute any steak really: skirt steak would also be great.
Home Cook’s Notes – Tips for the Perfect Steak Rice Bowls
This is best made on the grill because you have a lot of space. The corn, shishitos and steak each have lots of room to breathe. The steak and corn cook in about the same amount of time, and everything is done in 15 minutes. Not to mention you can baste and make a mess without a smoky kitchen.
You can make the flank steak inside on a grill pan or in the cast iron, but it may get a little smoky inside as the sauce cooks down. This doesn’t usually stop me.
Put the corn on first – it has to cook a little while on the grill. You can grill the corn with the husks on for about 20 minutes and they will slide right off after cooked. Grill the corn without the husks
From the Kitchen
Connect with Me
When you make these Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies, please share your thoughts in the comments or tag me on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis. I really love hearing from you, but if anything please come back and give it a rating!
Steak Rice Bowls with Soy Marinade & Corn Shishito Salad
- grill pan or cast iron skillet
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2.5 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 lb flank steak (or up to 1.5lbs)
- 6 oz shishito peppers
- 2-3 ears corn shucked or unshucked*
- oil for grill grates
- 1 tbs butter (for corn)
- 2 scallions sliced, plus more for serving
- 1 tbs cilantro chopped, plus more for serving
- lime slices/fresh lime for serving
- Marinate Steak: Stir soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Prick flank steak all over with a fork and place in a large resealable bag or container. Pour half of marinade over steak & seal bag. Shake up and turn evenly to fully coat both sides of the steak. Steak should marinate for at least 30 minutes or chill up to 1 day. BEST results overnight. Cover and chill remaining marinade until ready to use.
- Grill Veggies: Lightly brush grates with oil and prepare grill at medium high heat. Make sure it is nice and hot before grilling. Grill corn (you can grill in husks or not in husks), turning every 5 minutes until cooked through about 15-20 minutes. Husks will be blacked & some kernels golden brown inside. Add shishito peppers with about 8 minutes to go. Grill until charred on each side and beginning to burst or almost burst. They will collapse after you set them on a plate.
- Grill Steak: Add steak and grill 5-8 minutes on each side or until it is how you like it. I eat flank steak medium rare-medium. Baste with extra marinade every few minutes while steak is grilling. Let steak rest 5-10 minutes before cutting. This is a good time to make the salad.
- Make Corn Shishito Salad: Roughly chop shishitos. Slather corn in butter and sprinkle with salt. Remove from cobb. Add shishitos, corn, cilantro and green onion to a bowl. Squeeze a bit of lime & add more salt if needed. My heat lovers should add a bit of hot sauce too – so good. Mix everything together and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Assemble: Slice or cut steak into cubes. Serve over rice with tons of corn shishito salad and a big squeeze of lime and more cilantro or green onion as needed (I love a lot of green onion)