Shrimp Club Tacos with Old Bay Mayo. My parents have a beach house in Ocean City New Jersey. Being with them on the weekends literally feels like summer to me. We wait for dinner while my dad grills in the backyard, the delicious smelling smoke floating around the patio while we drink cocktails in our bathing suits. These Shrimp Tacos are perfect for the team or family. Let your dad grill the shrimp while you make mayo & chop tomatoes (& maybe drink a cocktail too). They are truly simply delicious – and you will be eating everything with Old Bay Mayo I swear.
Prepping the Taco
First of all I LOVE a club and I LOVE a BLT. It’s my favorite sandwich, my favorite lettuce wrap. Anything with tomato, mayo and bacon. I just wanted to share that with you although entirely irrelevant to how to make this so let’s move on!
This recipe is 95% about the prep. Almost NO cooking is involved. I would say your best bet is to just get everything done before you start to cook the shrimp (or while someone else is). Start your bacon before anything. Cooking it low and slow is going to take you 10-15 minutes – leaving enough time to prep the rest.
Cut your tomatoes & avocados and make that little tomato avocado salad. Set aside. Don’t forget to salt and season to taste. A good thing to keep in mind is that Old Bay seasoning is very salty. SO is bacon. I keep the shrimp almost salt-less for this reason because everything is about balance. Make your mayo & set aside. Get your lettuce & tortillas ready. That’s IT.
Assembling Shrimp Club
Like a true club sammy, these shrimp club tacos are STUFFED & can get a little messy. Grilling the shrimp should take you 6 minutes at the most. Everything else can even be cold going into the taco. I did want to add quickly that these are also fantastic as a lettuce wrap. So if you want to skip the tortilla altogether, I stand by that decision fully.
When you make these Shrimp Club Tacos, please let me know your thoughts in the comments or tag me or send me a DM on Instagram @quartersoulcrisis . I really love your questions and thoughts. I want to be able to accomplish anything as a home cook so let me help you troubleshoot!
Shrimp Club Tacos w/ Old Bay Mayo
- Grill & skewers sticks or cast iron pan
- 8 slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes cut in half or quarters
- 1 Avocado chopped
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil sliced thin
- 8 pieces Romaine or Iceberg Lettuce
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas (Taco Size)
Old Bay Mayo
- 1/3 cup Mayo
- 1/2 tbs Lemon Juice (1 lemon will be fine)
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
Honey Grilled Shrimp
- 3/4 lb Shrimp* tails off, peeled & deveined
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 3/4 tbsp Honey
- Cook Bacon: Cook your bacon in a skillet on low-medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is cooked through. Drain on double layered paper towels and set aside. I use one crispy slice per taco.
- While bacon is cooking, Prep Taco Ingredients: Make tomato & avocado mix. Add cut tomatoes, avocado & basil to bowl. Pinch of salt & pepper to taste. Toss and add more salt if youd like. Set aside. Next, make your mayo: Mix 1/3 cup mayo, 1tsp old bay and 1/2 tbs lemon juice together until combined. Set aside. Season Shrimp: Add shrimp, 1/4 tsp each of old bay, garlic powder, & pepper, & 3/4 tbs honey. Toss to coat shrimp.
- Make Shrimp: If grilling, add shrimp to skewers & preheat grill on high heat. Grill about 2-3 mins on each side. If cast iron cooking, heat pan with 1tbs olive oil and wait until oil is just smoking. Add shrimp & cook 3 minutes. Flip & cook 2-3 mins longer until shrimp is pink & opaque with some nice caramelization. Some shrimp may cook faster than others!
- Assemble: Spread mayo on tortilla, then lettuce, bacon, shrimp & top with tomato avocado mixture. Squeeze with any extra lemon and eat!