Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars. Here is why these are amazing. They come together quickly. There’s no dough chilling time. There isn’t even time to spend on scooping. Do you want an easy chocolate chip cookie recipe that is versatile, absolutely frickin delicious? Cut the bars big or small. Package them up in a cute ribbon or box for gifts. Make some for your girlfriends or a perfect party dessert. They are chewy, chocolatey, and one of my most favorite recipes.
Chocolate Chunks or Chips
This recipe comes together so quickly. Measure out your flour & whisk dry ingredients while the oven preheats. Beat your wet ingredients. Combine. No chilling or scooping!
Using chunks is important for the consistency of these bars. When using chips, you want to bake a few minutes less or add a handful or two more chocolate chips. The texture is just not the same or as amazing as it can be when you use chips over chunks! I love to use chopped chocolate, and my favorite is chopped Ghiradelli dark chocolate bar (especially to sprinkle over the top before baking).
It’s Baking Season
Baking season officially starts October 1. It’s time to make cookies and pies and have cozy nights in. I have brought these cookie bars to so many things – parties, game days, visits with parents and family. I have the best memories just standing over the counter and eating them out of the tray with my friend Natalie in our kitchen. And Nick & I putting them on top of our coffee ice cream at night (highly suggest the chewy perfect edges for snacking & the chocolatey soft middle guys for ice cream).
Do you want a dessert that feeds a crowd and makes all of your friends and family happy while doing the minimal amount of cookie work? I mean.. truly look no further than just a few sentences below.
My favorite way to eat them? Microwaved for 5-10 seconds until melty, placed at the bottom of a coffee mug, with a scoop or two of coffee ice cream. Comment if you try it.
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter 2 sticks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar packed
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs Room Temperature
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour spooned & leveled
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 10oz Bag Dark Chocolate Chunks*
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9×13 baking dish well or use parchment.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, add 2 cups spooned & leveled flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda & 1 tsp salt. Whisk and set aside.
- Beat Butter & Sugars: In bowl of your stand mixer with paddle attachment or using a hand mixer, beat 2 sticks butter, 1 & 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar together on high until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add eggs & 2 tsp vanilla. Beat until just combined. Try not to overmix.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Add your flour mixture into butter and sugars and beat on low again until just combined. Scrape sides as needed. Add chocolate chunks and fold in with spatula. I like to reserve some chocolate chunks for the top.
- Bake: Spread cookie dough evenly throughout baking dish (press any extra chocolate chunks into the top). Bake 30-40 minutes. It will be golden brown & lightly crackly on top and lightly puffed in the middle. It shouldn’t be jiggly, but it will be soft to touch in the center. The little puff will collapse. Serve warm or cool.