I have to get it out there and say- I tried to avoid making this low carb bread for as long as possible. Some say it tastes eggy, cheesy, or it’s too expensive. If you know me, you know I love to fuel my body with a low carb lifestyle, but I believe in balance especially during the holiday season. To make sure I don’t fall too off track (I want to feel confident when I get dressed for holiday parties with friends and family!), I absolutely love experimenting with low carb recipes to balance out the occasional cake & cookies. While you do taste the cream cheese a little bit, this low carb bread is a pretty amazing alternative to bagels and toast. The fact that it even exists is so exciting!
I have so many recipes coming up that are going to be GREAT with this: french toast, eggs Benedict, sandwiches & more. I want to make sure you get good use out of your ingredients.
Don’t think you have to eat entirely new foods when you want to eat healthy. Just eat those foods in a different way in order to do right by your body.
I used Isopure Whey Protein Isolate, Unflavored, 1 Pound. It’s low carb, it’s gluten free, it’s lactose free, soy free, wheat free. You CANNOT beat that. I ordered it on Amazon for $13 (& right now there is a 20% off coupon!) I know we want to skimp on expensive products, but with protein it is just SO worth the money. I don’t want to hold my nose when I make yummy shakes or breads that don’t satisfy our cravings. Who else is amazed by the things protein can do? I essentially baked bread with protein and cream cheese. Needless to say, many more zero-carb protein recipes are on their way.
This low carb bread has a kind of soft, cheesy/eggy flavor, and can be a bit dry. That’s why I love using it for recipes more than on it’s own. It’s best toasted with cream cheese or butter (like a bagel). It would taste amazing as a BLT with homemade mayo (recipe here), or as a grilled cheese!
In my recipes to come I’m trying different flavored proteins or cream cheeses for a to complement different toppings and meals–there are oh, so many options. Let me know what you try 🙂
Low Carb Bread, “Soul Bread”
10-14 thin slices
- 12 ozs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (Kerrygold, grass-fed, unsalted is my favorite!)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups unflavored, zero carb protein powder (Nature’s Best Isopure!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 2 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9″ x 5″ bread pan (I used a tablespoon of Kerrygold, but PAM or any other non-stick will work just fine).
- Blend butter & cream cheese in mixer until nice & smooth.
- Add eggs, heavy cream, and olive oil and blend again
- Slowly add dry ingredients & fold in with a spoon or spatula.
- Everything will blend well after a few minutes. You just don’t want to over whip the proteins (eggs and protein powder) or your dough will dry out too much when baked.
- Bake for 45 minutes until top is golden brown!